Silicon Valley Tech Giant: How I Landed My Job

Hello friends! It’s the moment you’ve all been waiting for… Guess who 🙂

Pipa here! I know you guys were wondering if I would ever show up, so here I am. Can you believe it’s already January… AGAIN?! It feel like it was just yesterday when I was taken aback by the fact Christmas decorations were on sale in September, and just like that, the holidays have come and gone!

Hopefully everyone had a wonderful holiday season, complete with warm hugs and satiated sweet tooths! I know I sure had a busy last few weeks. Bala managed to run away from the snow in Seattle to come home and spend time back here in California, so I was often able to see him after I got off work.

Speaking of work, I think Bala briefly mentioned that my work life recently went from a smooth sailing daily grind to a huge fiasco of questions and confusion. Needless to say, I am happy to report that after much hard work and effort, I have accepted an offer at one of Silicon Valley’s Tech Giants. No, this is not just another 5-person startup, but a company with thousands of employees. And yes, you’ve probably already used one or more of their products today.

This is how I did it.

Alright, so first things first. Let me get this straight. The following is definitely NOT a “How-To” but more of a “My Experience”. There are tens of thousands of jobs here in the San Francisco Bay Area, so everyone has their own story and experience with how they landed where they are today.

Overall, my process took exactly 3 months. It was early last October when the road was starting to get bumpy at my last company. Now, it’s early January and my first day is Monday!

Here’s my timeline:


  • I was contacted via LinkedIn to set up a phone call, and I responded with my availability.
  • We set up a time to chat and had our conversation later that week.
  • I provided the recruiter with my resume for them to forward to the hiring manager.
  • The following week, a different recruiter contacted me to set up a video interview.
  • I confirmed the time for the video interview with the team, and then set up a separate time for a “prep call”, so the recruiter could answer any questions I had beforehand, and give me a heads up on what to expect.
  • For the prep call, the recruiter sent me a list of questions I would be asked, and gave me tips on what the team was looking for.
  • I had my video interview and then the next day they invited to meet with the team onsite.
  • After sending my availability to come onsite, I didn’t hear back for some time.


  • I followed up on my onsite interview, and the recruiter was out of town so I didn’t hear back for a while.
  • Finally, I was contacted and they asked for me to come the in two days. Although it was extremely last minute, I was able to be flexible with my schedule and made it work.
  • I had my prep call the morning of my onsite interview, so everything was really rushed, making me feel unprepared.
  • I didn’t hear back until the next week, only to find out that the role was already filled.
  • Luckily for me, there was a similar role that opened in a different department, and they were interested in speaking with me.
  • Going through the motions again, I set up another phone interview, prep call, etc.
  • By the end of the month, I was setting up another onsite interview to meet with this new team.


  • For some reason, it always takes a long time to get an onsite scheduled, but when it is, it’s with almost no warning. This time, I was asked to come the next day to meet the team.
  • I was supposed to have my prep call right after I was notified of this meeting, so I rearranged my calendar for the rest of that day and made myself available.
  • The recruiter never picked up the phone, and never called me back. Was I still supposed to go onsite the next day?
  • I still decided to go onsite since I was given the time and place, even though my prep call never happened.
  • The team was great and I got to have a casual group hang out during my time onsite.
  • It took over a week of me following up numerous times with my recruiter, but they finally responded with great news.
  • After going through the entire process twice, I managed to get myself a pending offer!
  • These final steps moved along throughout the holidays, as I got my background check submitted and all my paperwork filled out and signed.


  • So now here we are! Yesterday, I received my official first day notice, and today I got a schedule of all the training sessions I will be a part of next week!
  • Stay tuned for an update on my first day!

And that’s a wrap! Well, more like a quick overview of what I went through these past few months. Props to Bala for keeping our blog alive and well 🙂

Let me know if you would like me to go into more details about any of the steps that I mentioned above, or if you have any questions about what it’s like living in Silicon Valley.

Or honestly, whatever content you’d like to see!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s